Wednesday 10 October 2012

Benvenuti a Roma!

OK, so I may have jumped the gun a bit and have already scheduled in my housewarming party in Rome for when I move there in February! But, I think that with all I will have to arrange between now and then, it will get forgotten so I am happy that’s now scheduled in! My lovely Italians and some of my English pals are also invited!

So, where are we at with the plans?

Apartment
Finally this has been sourced and booked – I have liaised with a charming man called Valentino who I believe has single-handedly restored my faith in humanity…

Me: Shall I pay the 20% deposit to secure?
Valentino: Nooooo, I shall pencil it in, that’s enough for me! Once I pencil something in, nothing changes my mind!

Such a lovely man!
The space itself is beautiful, right in Rione Monti, practically in the back garden of the Coliseum, in a beautiful neighborhood. I couldn’t be happier about the location. I have a bizarre connection with the Coliseum (maybe I was a Gladiator in a past life!) and quoted various lines (“Father to a murdered son….”) from the film every time I saw it! So to be living in a Palazzo built in 1600 next to the Coliseum = one happy Nina!



Course
I am now fully enrolled on my 4-week Italian course and can’t wait to learn more of this beautiful language. Somehow I seem to be picking it up well on my current 10-week beginners course so will be heading onto the ‘elementary’ course in Rome! Exciting! The school is a 20 minute walk from my apartment and I am there 4 days a week for 3 hours, which should provide good exercise to help burn off the gelato/pasta/pizza!

My first weekend in Roma!
I am very luck to have parents that are supportive of this move and want to do as much as they can for me to make this get off on the right foot! They will be traveling out with me on the Saturday 2nd February and staying there with me until the Monday morning, before flying off to Malaga to pick up their cruise ship (they are always on holiday!), which ironically docks at Civitavecchia (closest dock to Rome) on Saturday 9th February, so they will be spending that day with me too! As this is the day after my planned housewarming, they could be fortunate enough to be sharing my new abode with my lovely Italians!

I am delighted that they will be coming there with me that first weekend, it will help me with settling in and I know full well that waving me off at departures will not be enough for Mummy B! She will want to inspect the venue that will be the hub of her daughter’s crazy month in Rome with a fine tooth comb. As she is not as well adjusted to Rome as I, cue comments on the graffiti everywhere, rubbish, cobbled streets (not compatible with Marc Jacobs boots) and near death experiences whenever crossing the street! p.s – its these exact features that made me fall in love with the city the second I first stepped off the train in June this year!

Things I will HAVE to take with me for the month as there cannot possibly be a decent Italian equivalent! (or, things I’m packing!)
As I plan to make Italy my home one day, I think that I need to make this feel as less like a holiday as possible! So, factoring in some key items is essential in this quest!
1. English tea – I refuse to pay through the teeth for imported tea! 90 Typhoo tea bags should cover it!
2. Bold 2in1 Washing powder – yes, insane, but I love the smell and have to have it with me! (yes, I did partly fall in love with my apartment because it has a washing machine!)
3. Pictures of my family/friends/cats – because I want this to feel like ‘home’ these simply have to come along!
4. Pimms! – I introduced Pimms to my lovely Italians and they love it! Every time I return its with a liter of Pimms in tow! Luckily, with Mum and Dad’s suitcases, I can take far more in February!
5. My favourite DVDs – I am under no illusion that there will be nights when I am sat in at home like I am in the UK and these nights I want to be able to sit back with a bottle of vino and watch some films/TV shows that I love! Likewise, when my girls come to stay, these will be essential!
6. Docking station – I cannot live without music on so this will be essential!
7. Nikon camera – a ‘yet to be purchased item’ but totally essential to photo-doc my month in the Eternal City. This isn’t the time for 3,000 shabby iPhone pictures, this is the time to capture life-changing memories! My Dad’s Nikon is pretty decent so that shall be my weapon of choice!

Ciao for now!
Nina xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment