Thursday 18 October 2012

Why I want to make Rome my Home

I’ve made no secret of my love affair with Italy. I first went in 2005 and it was everything I’d hoped it would be. I stayed in a typical Tuscan villa near a town called Montespertoli and visited Florence (swoon!), San Gimignano and Sienna. I loved the place so much, I went back a year later.
It wasn’t until 2012 that I went back to Tuscany to stay with my parents whilst they were there. Cue another week-long stay in a perfect villa, drinking amazing wine for less than 3 Euros a bottle and eating some of the best food I had tasted. After Tuscany, I took the train to Rome, my first time in the Eternal City.

I can’t really explain what happened, but stepping off the train at Termani in the scorching July mid-afternoon heat made me feel at home. I didn’t feel like I was visiting or on holiday, there was more of a connection than that. The city was intense, hot and rich. I was in love.
I have been back 3 times since my first visit in July and have seen many sides to the city, and I have fallen even deeper in love. There is a strange comfort to be found on the cobbled streets, walking past church after church. There is something almost movie-set like about Rome, it’s exactly as you would imagine, and more.

So, I figured I would compile a list of the things that have helped me decide that Rome is the home for me…

1. The sunsets
I noticed this first when there in July. The sun setting over the city creates a rainbow of colours in the sky that you can sit and watch til they fade.

Image

2. The cobbled streets
There is something almost energetic about negotiating the cobbled streets. As a girl who was practically born in 4in heels, it makes a scary yet refreshing change to have to spend the majority of my time walking about the city in flat/sensible shoes. I have observed many an Italian fashionista strutting across the cobbles with the grace of a figure skater and I guess that is something I will develop over time.

Image

3. Nuns
I’m not religious and make no illusion that I am, but there is something very comforting about the constant reminders that Ave Maria is never far away. It seems like I cannot step off a plane or train in Rome without seeing one her her loyal representatives. It’s humbling and funny to see them, in groups, enjoying the gelato of the city!

Image

4. Graffiti
I see a lot of graffiti in the UK, but there is something about the graffiti in Rome that always brings a smile to my face. I think its the combination of the modern work and the centuries-old walls it adorns that makes me realise the true beauty of Rome; it is old and new, modern and traditional.

Image

5. Water Fountains
These are everywhere in the city and something that always captures me when I pass one of them. They range from basic to elegant and I was delighted to discover one 30 feet from the front door of my own palazzo.

Image

What are your reasons for loving Rome?
Ciao for now,
Nina xx

No comments:

Post a Comment