Tuesday 5 March 2013

Talkin’ Italian


I HATED learning French at school. Maybe a combination of being a teenager and having bad teachers and disruptive classes, it was never my favourite subject. But from a young age I wanted to be bi-lingual. I saw it as a valuable skill and something that would make me feel…more accomplished as a woman. (I blame years of reading Jane Austen novels for this desire to be an ‘accomplished woman’!)

It was my first trip to Italy in 2005 that ignited my passion for the Italian language – from the minute I landed at Pisa I fell in love with it! Such a passionate and beautiful language! On my return from Tuscany I bought my first English – Italian dictionary and learnt some basic! Bene! 

I went back to Italy 3 further time before my trip to Rome (which changed EVERYTHING!) and tried my best to speak as much Italian as I could! It was when I made the decision to move to Italy that I became serious about Italiano. 

Learning a new language it was I imagine recovering from amnesia must be like – you go back to the very basics of your educational life. Last night, I learnt a new alphabet! And it has only 21 letters; not the 26 I have been used to for the last 29 years! And numbers too – I’m counting in a whole other language in my head when I am counting things out at work and at home…I have been reciting my telefonino number in my head, in Italian all morning! 



One thing I love about this language is its drama – it’s a delight to speak and I am loving every single lesson I am having. I go to bed afterwards with phrases in my head and it’s so rewarding to feel like I am getting there – even my teacher has told me that my pronunciation is the best she’s heard…I “sound Italian!”

I have 5 more lessons before I go to nail some of the basics to help me get by, but it’s when I am there and living the language that I will really learn it! And then have to factor in Roman dialect! Another language consideration! Daje! (which up until this point is the only Roman word I successful know and understand!)

My goal is to be fluent, and I mean COMPLETELY fluent in a year. I have read it takes 2 years but that’s too long. 

So, ciao per ora!

Nina x

No comments:

Post a Comment